[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: What is "certificate"? (was: what are realistic threats?)

On Fri, 7 Oct 1994, Hapeman Dale wrote:

I'm late getting into this discussion; what can I read to get up to speed
on all this?

> How are these bound together?  Because the issuer of my certificate signs
> the bits that make up my certificate.  My certificate can not be altered
> without invalidating my issuer's signature.
>
> Now, you can validate my signature using my public key and know it came from
> me because the issuer of my certificate says that that public key belongs to
> me. The only thing my issuer has effectively "certified" is that I am the
> person who signed whatever it is I sent you.  You can verify the issuer's
> signature on my certificate by gaining access to his certificate (and his
> public key).
>
> Why should you put am credence in my issuer's signature?  Somebody issued
> and signed his certificate verifying that his public key (the one you used
> to verify his signature) does indeed belong to him.  That somebody
> "certified" that he is really the person who used the public key that signed
> my certificate.

This is all fine, but I seemed to have missed how the issuer verifies the
contents of a document.  It would seem that would become the weak link in all
this.  Not that I cant trust my issuer, but how does an issuer, with
confidence(100%), validate a document?  If an issuer cant give you that
degree of confidence then how can you ever trust the certification?
Another foolish question is what is an issuer.  What entity is it?

drex

	datkins@unm.edu						"tight-lines"
	CIRT-ACS  University of New Mexico